National Scenic Trail
Maine to Georgia, CT,GA,MA,MD,ME,NC,NH,NJ,NY,PA,TN,VA,VT,WV
The Appalachian Trail is a 2,180+ mile long public footpath that traverses the scenic, wooded, pastoral, wild, and culturally resonant lands of the Appalachian Mountains. Conceived in 1921, built by private citizens, and completed in 1937, today the trail is managed by the National Park Service, US Forest Service, Appalachian Trail Conservancy, numerous state agencies and thousands of volunteers.
National Historical Park
Discover the home, studios and gardens of Augustus Saint-Gaudens, one of America’s greatest sculptors. See over 100 of his artworks in the galleries and on the grounds, from heroic public monuments to expressive portrait reliefs, and the gold coins which changed the look of American coinage. Enjoy summer concerts, explore nature trails, or indulge your hidden talents during a sculpture class.
By The Numbers
- 2 National Parks
- 37,923 Visitors to National Parks
- $1,800,000 Economic Benefit from National Park Tourism ?
- $120,874,552 of Rehabilitation Projects Stimulated by Tax Incentives (since 1995) ?
- $41,213,939 of Land & Water Conservation Fund Appropriated for Projects (since 1965) ?
- $21,255,738 in Historic Preservation Grants (since 1969) ?
- 21 Certified Local Governments ?
- 82 Community Conservation & Recreation Projects (since 1987) ?
- 184 Acres Transferred by Federal Lands to Parks for Local Parks and Recreation (since 1948) ?
- 2,168 Hours Donated by Volunteers ?
- 1 National Heritage Area ?
- 1 Wild & Scenic Rivers Managed by NPS ?
- 2 National Trails Managed by NPS ?
- 784 National Register of Historic Places Listings ?
- 23 National Historic Landmarks ?
- 11 National Natural Landmarks ?
- 285 Places Recorded by Heritage Documentation Programs ?
- 56,423 Objects in National Park Museum Collections ?
- 19 Archeological Sites in National Parks ?
- 1 Teaching with Historic Places Lesson Plan ?
- 2 Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itineraries ?
- ?Print the summary ?
These numbers are just a sample of the National Park Service's work. Figures are for the fiscal year that ended 9/30/2017.