National Historical Park
The British flag would not be raised above Fort Sackville Feb. 25, 1779. At 10 a.m., the garrison surrendered to American Colonel George Rogers Clark. His American army, aided by French residents of the Illinois country, had marched through freezing floodwaters to gain this victory. The fort’s capture assured United States claims to the frontier, an area nearly as large as the original 13 states.
Indiana Dunes National Park hugs 15 miles of the southern shore of Lake Michigan and has much to offer. Whether you enjoy scouting for rare species of birds or flying kites on the sandy beach, the national park's 15,000 acres will continually enchant you. Hikers will enjoy 50 miles of trails over rugged dunes, mysterious wetlands, sunny prairies, meandering rivers and peaceful forests.
Lincoln City, IN
Abraham Lincoln grew from youth to manhood on this southern Indiana soil. Many character and moral traits of one of the world's most respected leaders was formed and nurtured here. Explore Lincoln's boyhood and learn about the boy who would one day become the leader of our nation.
By The Numbers
- 3 National Parks
- 2,435,602 Visitors to National Parks
- $105,400,000 Economic Benefit from National Park Tourism ?
- $959,921,530 of Rehabilitation Projects Stimulated by Tax Incentives (since 1995) ?
- $89,639,503 of Land & Water Conservation Fund Appropriated for Projects (since 1965) ?
- $27,358,429 in Historic Preservation Grants (since 1969) ?
- 21 Certified Local Governments ?
- 48 Community Conservation & Recreation Projects (since 1987) ?
- 16,019 Acres Transferred by Federal Lands to Parks for Local Parks and Recreation (since 1948) ?
- 41,701 Hours Donated by Volunteers ?
- 1,903 National Register of Historic Places Listings ?
- 42 National Historic Landmarks ?
- 30 National Natural Landmarks ?
- 486 Places Recorded by Heritage Documentation Programs ?
- 199,530 Objects in National Park Museum Collections ?
- 227 Archeological Sites in National Parks ?
- 3 Teaching with Historic Places Lesson Plans ?
- 8 Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itineraries ?
- ?Print the summary ?
These numbers are just a sample of the National Park Service's work. Figures are for the fiscal year that ended 9/30/2017.